Ph.D. Immunology & Molecular Pathogenesis, Emory University, 2002
Tumor Immunity and Human Adenovirus Infection in Lymphocytes
My laboratory conducts research in the areas of cellular and molecular immunology, as well as investigating the association of human adenovirus with lymphocytes. Ongoing studies involve (1) the analysis of basic immunologic mechanisms and principles against self-cells from diverse tissues, (2) analysis of immune cell interactions with damaged or malignant cells, and (3) investigating the possibility that human species C adenovirus infections in lymphocytes can initiate acute leukemia.
1. D. A. Ornelles, L. R. Gooding, M. L. Dickherber, M. Policard, & C. Garnett-Benson. Limited but durable changes to cellular gene expression during latent adenovirus infection of human lymphocyte cell lines are reflected in childhood leukemic cell lines. Virology. April 2016. PMID: 27085068
2. Radiation combined with immune-stimulating drugs could pack a powerful punch against cancer cells. https://theconversation.com/radiation-combined-with-immune-stimulating-drugs-could-pack-a-powerful-punch-against-cancer-cells-54452. The Conversation. March 21, 2016
3. A. Kumari, S. Simon, T. Moody, C. Garnett-Benson. Immunogenic modulation by radiation; What’s next for cancer therapy? Frontiers in Oncology. Jan 2016. PMID: 26621553
4. A. Kumari and C. Garnett-Benson. Effector Function of CTLs is Increased By Irradiated Colorectal Tumor Cells That Modulate OX-40L and 4-1BBL and Is Reversed Following Dual Blockade. BMC Research Notes. Feb 2016; 9(1):92. PMID: 26872462
5. Cacan, E., Alex Spring, Kumari, A., Greer, S.F. and Garnett-Benson, C. Combination treatment with sub-lethal ionizing radiation and the proteasome inhibitor, bortezomib, enhances tumor immunogenicity and anti-tumor immune attack. Int J Mol Science. Dec 2015
6. Cacan, E., Greer, S.F. and Garnett-Benson, C. Radiation-induced modulation of immunogenic genes in tumor cells is regulated by both histone deacetylases and DNA methyltransferases. International Journal of Oncology. Nov 2015.
7. Ornelles DA, Gooding LR, Garnett-Benson C. Neonatal infection with species C adenoviruses confirmed in viable cord blood lymphocytes. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 12;10(3):e0119256. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0119256. eCollection 2015. PMID: 25764068
8. Garnett-Benson C, Hodge JW, Gameiro SR. Combination regimens of radiation therapy and therapeutic cancer vaccines: mechanisms and opportunities. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2015 Jan;25(1):46-53. doi: 10.1016/j.semradonc.2014.07.002. Review. PMID: 25481266
9. Bernstein, M., Garnett, C.T., Zhang, H., Velcich, A., Wattenberg, M., Gameiro, S., Kalnicki, S., Hodge, J., Guha, C. Radiation-Induced Modulation of Costimulatory and Coinhibitory T-Cell Signaling Molecules on Human Prostate Carcinoma Cells Promotes Productive Antitumor Immune Interactions. Cancer Biotherapy & Radiopharmaceuticals. May 2014. PMID: 24693958
10. Murali, V.K., Ornelles, D. A., Gooding, L.R., Wilms, H., Huang, W., Tollefson, A.E., Wold, W.S.M., & C. Garnett-Benson. Adenovirus Death Protein (ADP) is Required for Lytic Infection of Human Lymphocytes. J of Virol. Nov 2013. PMID: 24198418
11. Anita Kumari, Ercan Cacan, Susanna F Greer and Charlie Garnett-Benson. Turning T cells on: epigenetically enhanced expression of effector T-cell costimulatory molecules on irradiated human tumor cells. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer 2013, 1:17. 23 September 2013.
12. Hodge, J.W., Garnett, C.T., Farsaci, B., Palena, C., Tsang, K., Ferrone, S., and Gameiro, S.R. Chemotherapy Sensitive and Resistant Tumor Cells can be Rendered Sensitive to CTL Killing by Altering Phenotype and Antigen Processing Machinery with Docetaxel Treatment. Int J of Cancer. Feb 2013.
13. Victoria Ifeadi and Charlie Garnett-Benson. Sub-lethal irradiation of human colorectal tumor cells imparts enhanced and sustained susceptibility to multiple death receptor signaling pathways. PLoS One. 2012; 7(2): e31762. Epub 2012 Feb 28.
14. Garnett, C.T., Talekar, G., Mahr, J.A., Huang, W., Zhang, Y., Ornelles, D., Gooding, L.R., Latent species C adenoviruses in human tonsil tissue. J Virol. 83(6):2417-28. March 2009.
15. Garnett, C.T., Schlom, J., Hodge, J.W., Combination of docetaxel and recombinant vaccine enhances T-cell responses and antitumor activity: Effects of Docetaxel on Immune Enhancement. Clin Can Res,Vol 14(11):3536-3544, June 2008.
16. Sharp, H., Wansley, E.K., Garnett, C.T., Chakraborty, M., Camphausen, K., Schlom, J., Hodge, J.W., Synergistic antitumor activity of immune strategies combined with radiation. Front Bioscience, 12:4900-4910, Sept 2007.
17. Kudo-Saito, C., Garnett, C.T., Wansley, E.K., Schlom, J., Hodge, J.W., Intratumoral delivery of vector mediated IL-2 in combination with vaccine results in enhanced T-cell avidity and anti-tumor activity. Cancer Immunol Immunother., Vol 56(12):1897-1910, 2007.
18. Garnett, C.T., Pao, J., Gooding, L. R., Detection and quantitation of species C adenovirus DNA in human tissue samples by real-time PCR. Methods Mol Med., 130:193-204, 2007.
19. Gelbard, A., Garnett, C.T., Abrams, S. I., Patel, V., Gutkind, S., Palena, C., Tsang, K., Schlom, J., Hodge, J.W. Combination chemotherapy and radiation of human squamous cells carcinoma of the head and neck augments CTL-mediated lysis. Clin Can Res. Vol 12(6):1897-1905, Mar 2006.
20. Hodge, J.W., Chakraborty, M., Kudo-Saito, C., Garnett, C.T., Schlom, J., Multiple costimulatory modalities enhance CTL avidity. J Immunol. Vol 174(10):5994-6004, 2005.
21. Garnett, C.T., Palena, C., Chakaraborty, M., Tsang, K., Schlom, J., Hodge, J. Sublethal irradiation of human tumor cells modulates phenotype resulting in enhanced killing by cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Cancer Res. Vol 64:7985-7994, November 2004. 22. Garnett, C.T., Erdman, D.E., Xu, W., Gooding, L.R. Prevalence and quantitation of species C adenovirus DNA in human mucosal lymphocytes. J. Virol. Vol. 76 (21):10608-10616, November 2002.
23. McNees, A.M., Garnett, C.T., Gooding, L.R. The adenovirus E3 RID complex protects some cultured human T and B lymphocytes from Fas-induced apoptosis. J. Virol. Vol. 76 (19):9716-9723, October 2002